• Call Now For Your Free Initial Consultation (714) 947-1246

Immigration Tips

Call Now For Your Free Initial Consultation (714) 947-1246

Immigration Tips

➢ Consider U.S. citizenship. If you have a green card, file for U.S. citizenship as soon as legally possible. This will not only protect you from removal (deportation), but will also help you get a more secure status for your close family members. Most people have to wait five years after their green card approval before applying, but a few people can apply sooner. For more information, see the USCIS website at www.usc

➢ Notify USCIS of address changes. If you’re spending more than 30 days in the United States, you must notify USCIS of your changes of address, within ten days of moving. You and every member of your family must send separate notifications. You can do so either by mailing in Form AR-11 (available on the USCIS website) or, better yet, by using USCIS’sonline change of address service. Also, be sure to send written word of your new address to every USCIS office that’s handling an application of yours — otherwise, the office might not hear of the change.

➢ Make sure to file multiple visa petitions. If you plan to get a green card through a family member, see if more than one member of your family is eligible to submit the visa petition for you. For example, a brother and a sister who are U.S. citizens could both file for you, as could a U.S. citizen spouse or parent. That way, if the waiting list in one category gets especially long or if one person dies, you’ll have another option in the works already.

➢ If you are in the United States and your work permit or status needs to be renewed, realize that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS, formerly called the INS) is extremely backed up. Make sure to PLAN FOR DELAYS. Cope by turning in your application far in advance. This is particularly important if your legal status has an expiration date on it. If you fall out of status, the immigration authorities could arrest you.

➢ Be extremely cautious about ALWAYS arriving on time for any scheduled appointment with the USCIS, a U.S. embassy or consulate, or the U.S. immigration court. Arriving late or not at all can result in months of delays at best and removal from the United States (deportation) at worst.

➢ Avoid summary removal. When arriving in the U.S. from overseas, be ready to convince the border official that you deserve your entry visa. These officials have a lot of power, and they can send you back if they think you are a security risk or that you lied in order to get the visa. Tourists should be careful not to pack anything that looks like they’re planning a permanent stay, such as a resume or a wedding dress.

➢ Avoid visa violations. Make sure you understand the fine print surrounding your visa, work permit or green card, and follow the rules carefully. Violating even minor terms of your visa or green card. For example, working while you’re here as a tourist or helping to smuggle a family member over the border can result in your visa being canceled or you being deported.

➢ USCIS is famous for losing paperwork. Always copy and track your paperwork. Send all applications and other material by certified mail, with a return receipt, and keep a copy. They’re not only your proof of filing, but may become the main copies used by USCIS if the original file is never found.

➢ Make sure to thoroughly do your immigration research. Be careful who you accept advice from. Rumors and friends can’t be relied on. Everyone’s legal situation is different. Even USCIS employees sometimes give out wrong advice, for which you pay the consequences. Do your own research where possible, and if necessary, take your unanswered questions to an immigration attorney or accredited representative whose reputation you’ve checked out.

➢ If nothing else is working surrounding your visa, work permit or green card, contact your U.S. congressperson. They can usually make an inquiry for you, which often encourages the USCIS or consulate into taking appropriate action.

➢ It’s very important that you file your tax return every year, even if you don’t owe taxes. Failure to do so could affect any immigration matter you have pending or have in the future.

​➢ Permanent Residents may apply for residency on behalf of their spouse and un-married children. If you apply for a child and your child gets married before getting his visa, he or she will become ineligible to get a visa.

➢ Did you know citizens may apply for residency on behalf of their spouse, parents, children (married or not), or brothers and sisters?

➢ If you have a matter pending with Immigration, it’s very important to report any change in your address to them.